Jessica Jennings PT, DPT, OCS
- Doctorate in Physical Therapy from Arcadia University (2015)
- B.S. in Kinesiology from CA State University Dominguez Hills (2011)
- Sycamore Academy (2007)
- Lower Extremity Certified in Active Release Technique (ART) (2017)
- Orthopedic Clinical Specialist (2017)
- Certified in Selective Functional Movement Assessment (SFMA) (2015)
What made you pursue physical therapy as a career?
I have always been a fan of sports and fitness and was also very interested in biological sciences while in school. This interest led me to pursue careers in the medical field. During high school, my mother had cancer. I was home with her enough to see that the medical professionals who helped the most were the ones who spent the most time with my family. Physical Therapy is a profession that enables me to spend quality time with people and help them to attain their rehabilitation and fitness goals.
What do you feel are the most important qualities in a physical therapist?
I truly believe that my understanding of the human body allows me to treat my patients as a whole, and not just as a single injury. This is a huge component in being able to reach patients’ personal goals, which is a primary focus of each therapy session. I like to involve patients in their own treatment, this way we can work as a team to personalize each session to the patients’ specific goals. I believe that one of the ways I can make the biggest impact is through manual therapy. A hands-on approach allows me to understand what you are feeling and directly impact the structures that are involved. One of my main goals is to make my patients feel comfortable and educated on their condition. I strive to establish clear communication on the steps we will take to achieve a successful rehabilitation.
What are your interests outside of work?
- I love to being outside and trying new sports. Whether it is hiking, camping, or relaxing at the beach with friends; everything is better outside.
- One of my biggest passions is traveling. I have been to Israel, Mexico, Canada, and Guatemala. I also love exploring new places in my home state of California. I hope to spend more time out of the country in the future.
- When time allows, I like to cook and try out new dishes. Some turn out better than others but I have fun doing it.