Carlie (Flake) Strazzullo PT, DPT
- Doctorate in Physical Therapy from Stockton University (2018)
- Bachelor of Science in Biology from Richard Stockton College of New Jersey (2014)
- Seneca High School (2011)
What made you pursue physical therapy as a career?
Throughout my life, I have held many roles in the sports community whether it was being a multisport athlete, volunteer, or coach. Over years of watching athletic performances, I gained an appreciation for the human body and its ability to produce skilled movement. From an early age, I knew I wanted to be involved in the medical field and returning people to optimal function. However, my true interest in physical therapy began following a soccer-related injury my junior year of high school that required an ACL reconstruction surgery. During months of physical therapy I experienced the passion, empathy, and skill that the physical therapist possessed during my treatment. As a patient I was afforded quality time and adequate explanations from my physical therapist that allowed me to take part in my recovery, while also being well informed about my care. I treasured my experience in physical therapy and wish to create the same environment for my patients!
What do you feel are the most important qualities in a physical therapist?
Aside from knowledge of the human body and movement dysfunction, I believe that compassion for patients and passion for the field are the most important qualities in a PT. As a PT you cross paths with people from all walks of life. It is important that the physical therapist is empathetic, listens to the patient, and individualizes each treatment for the patient’s personal goals. Passion for the field of physical therapy allows for continued growth and knowledge. A patient directly benefits from a therapist’s desire to learn best practices in the field!
What are your interests outside of work?
- I enjoy being active, whether it is running, working out at the gym, or playing sports. I played lacrosse and soccer through high school and went onto play lacrosse at Stockton University where I actually started the team!
- I try to spend as much time outside as possible when the weather permits. The outdoors is my happy place!
- I spend a lot of time with my family! My fiancé, Joey, and I love spending time with our nephews Cameron and Terry.